Wednesday, May 19, 2010

WSGW

Ever since November I have been meeting with WSGW (790 AM radio) to talk about bike and build and what is ahead of me this summer. IT’S BEEN AWESOME! Cameron Brady, who works with Saginaw’s Habitat for Humanity, has gotten me involved with that and I can’t tell you how many random people come to me and say, “Hey….wait a minute…you were on the radio the other day!” It is amazing the people that you can reach through the radio. People I have not seen in years to people that I saw yesterday are listeners. I am super fortunate to have the opportunity to do this. I never thought in a million years that I would be involved in anything that would get me talking on a radio station. This is all part of the adventure.

I pulled up to Habitat’s restore at like 6:15 am yesterday and there is a huge WSGW van sitting in the parking lot. I hardly can get out of my car and start talking to Art Lewis and he says, “Actually, she is here with us now…beth, say hello.” So basically I walked out of my car listening to WSGW and then I was talking on the station. Pretty insane.

As we were sitting in Habitat’s restore, waiting to talk about Bike and Build and Saginaw’s Habitat for Humanity, Art was sitting in one of the chairs. He was leaning back…just chillin’. And then he leaned further, and further, and further…. And then PLOP. Haha. His chair snapped and in slow motion he fell backwards with his hands and feet in the air. OH WOW. I was laughing hard. I don’t ever think I will forget the expression on his face. Complete fear.

We were in the middle of talking about Bike and Build and then someone came to the door. I assumed that it was someone who worked there. I was fiddling with the lock trying to let him in and as I opened the door he says, “Are you the biker?” And he just handed over his money! WHOA! That was soooo awesome! He was probably on his way to work and I don’t even know! He just decided to stop and give! That is so awesome. His name was Bob. If you read this Bob, thanks! That was selfless :)

So I have a few more fundraisers left that I am planning on doing before I leave. One is a pop can drive…  The other is new. I am thinking that of getting everyone and anyone that can to come out and help pump gas at the 7-11 on titabawassee and mackinaw. I’ll be on a trainer sitting right next to the door biking and then people can help pump gas…maybe get a car wash going? I will let everyone know more about it when I find a date. But if you read this and want to help out… let me know!

About 800 dollars to go! We’re treking…little by little. ONE MONTH FROM TODAY I will be on my way to Portsmouth, New Hampshire!

1 comment: