Saturday, May 1, 2010

Sweat Equity

Today I had the opportunity to work with Habitat for Humanity. First of all, I looked up where the build site was and it was 3 miles from my house! MY JAW SERIOUSLY DROPPED! I just think that is so crazy. The work that I did today was no different from the work that I did in Louisiana to Alaska. Service is right in our backyard and I found how true that statement really is today. Even though I was only 3 miles away from my house, I felt like I was across seas. I love how service can do that. It is such a freeing experience. There were no worries today. I was focused on people and listening and smiling. It is so powerful to be in an environment with new people…all with the same goal in mind. To better this temporary home.

I met an incredible woman named Kerry. We were about to start putting up siding on the house and some how we struck up conversation. I was able to tell her about Bike and Build and I could see her eyes light up! She was so interested and I was so excited to tell her all about it. We started talking about life and where we have been and she’s telling me all of these crazy things! Like how she has been to Alaska going out on fishing boats and just incredible things. She was a leader… a true spirited leader. She ended up donating money right on the spot. How incredible is that?!?! Someone to have such a big heart and give so freely to someone they hardly know. That shows character. I can’t wait to meet more Kerry’s this summer.

I’ve had so many donations lately. Like big donations and I don’t even ask people. They are just giving out of the kindness of their heart. I am so blessed to be surrounded by such humble hearts. I want to be just like these people. Able to give without hesitation. God is present, that is for sure.

I’m about 1,000 dollars away! We are almost there folks. Schools out and I’m in Bike and Build mode. Watch out world…things are going to change!

1 comment: